- To be notified about openings for Suki Wessling’s courses (including full courses), please subscribe to Prof. Suki’s Newsletter.
I love to be challenged. And when I say that, I mean it literally: I love it when my students challenge me. First of all, I’d be humiliated if they didn’t correct me when I’m wrong about a fact. Tell me! And then, if I state something that they don’t agree with, I want to hear from them. I love their passion and the astounding range of their knowledge. I know that when I put up a slide with provocative ideas on it, they won’t stay silent or try to please me. When they push back…that’s what pleases me!
Suki Wessling has been an avid reader, writer, and lover of language her whole life. She studied Linguistics as an undergraduate at Stanford University and then received an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Michigan. She taught college-level English and creative writing, worked as a graphic designer, and ran a small publishing company. After becoming a parent, Suki was inspired to write about parenting and education, as well as rekindling an interest in writing children’s fiction. Homeschooling introduced her to the wonderful world of working with children, both IRL (in real life) and online at Athena’s.
Her books include:
- Homeschool with Confidence (Chatoyant, 2017): a goal-setting guide for homeschooled teens
- “I love to write for our students! My book, *Homeschool with Confidence*, was written as the text for goal-setting at Athena’s. I knew that I wanted to teach this subject to our community, but there were no books that seemed right for our teens. My only regret is that I made the title homeschool-specific. So many of our students are taking unusual paths, but those paths may lead through school as well as homeschool.”
- Hanna, Homeschooler (Chatoyant, 2016): a chapter book about a young homeschooler who has moved to a new town
- From School to Homeschool (Great Potential Press, 2012): a guide to help new homeschooling parents transition from a school-based to a homeschool-based mindset
Learn more about Prof. Suki: